Entebbe Dairy Training School (EDTS) is a dairy training institution under DDA. Government of Uganda in the financial year 2013/14 allocated funds to revived EDTS in order to skill and train dairy stakeholders along the dairy value chain in milk quality and value addition. The institution is located at Old Airport Village, Kigungu Division B, Entebbe Municipality. EDTS is the only government dairy training school in the country.
Purpose of the institution
1. To arch out competent dairy stake holders with hands on skills in milk quality and value addition.
2. To train dairy stakeholders in increased milk production and productivity.
3. Improvement of Human Resource capacity for the development and regulation of the dairy sector.
To produce highly competent stakeholders with hands on skills in milk production, handling and processing in order to promote dairy farming as a profitable business.
4.0 Target audience:
The training targets Dairy stakeholders along the value chain e.g. dairy farmers, Milk Collection Center (MCC) operators, milk transporters, Cottage operators and value addition entrepreneurs.
Management of the institution
The institution is managed by DDA Board, DDA Management and the School Staff headed by the Principal Tutor
Modules offered at the School
The following modules are offered at the School with each module taking a period of one week.
1. Milk Quality Control and Quality Assurance,
2. Small scale milk processing in Yoghurt Production, Ice Cream Production, Cheese Production, Butter and Ghee Production.
3. Dairy Farm Production and Management
4. Dairy Business Management
Activities at the School
1. Skilling in dairy value addition
2. Hands on training.
3. Field Excursion
4. Bench marking
5. Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)
Facilities at the School;
1. Well-equipped milk processing factory for demonstration.
2. Well-equipped modern laboratory to test milk and milk products.
3. Good hostel accommodation for both males and females with modern washrooms, kitchen, dining and a sitting room.
4. Well-equipped computer laboratory with a running wifi.
5. Out of class recreation activities e.g. Volleyball, Scrabble, Table tennis, Net ball, Chess etc
2. Heifer International
4. Dairy Cooperatives
5. Dairy Farmers
Eligibility for admission
Ability to read and write in English