South Eastern Regional Office

The South Eastern Regional Office coordinates dairy development and regulatory activities in the South Eastern region of Uganda comprising of the sub regions of Busoga and Bukedi.

The regional office is currently housed at DDA Headquarters in Kampala. The South Eastern Regional Office coordinates 18 districts, namely Jinja, Mayuge, Kamuli, Buyende, Luuka, Iganga, Bugiri, Namayingo, Busia, Tororo, Namutumba, Kaliro, Butaleja, Kibuku, Budaka, Butebo, Pallisa and Bugweri. 

The region has a human population of 6,303,200, and more than half are employed in subsistence agriculture. The cattle herd size is 1,046,217, out of which 5% are exotic crosses, while the other 95% are local breeds. The region is considered a milk deficit region as it accounts for only 9% of the national milk production estimated at 130.9 m litres per year.

The region has 18 dairy farmer cooperatives/associations. There are 16 rural milk collection centres with a total chilling capacity of 39,000 litres per day. There are approximately 157 raw milk sales outlets; 37 coolers (in Kamuli, Buyende, Jinja, Iganga, Bugiri, Busia, Malaba, Pallisa, Kibuku and Budaka) with total chilling capacity of 69,600 litres and 120 freezers (mainly in Jinja, Iganga, Bugiri, Tororo, Busia and Malaba urban centres.

Farm gate milk prices ranges from UGX 800-1,000 per liter and retail raw milk prices range from UGX 1,200-1,500 per liter. 

Dairy Development Authority

Head Office

Dairy Development Authority

P. O. Box 34006 Kampala,
Plot 1 Kafu Road Nakasero, Kampala Uganda

Tel: (256) 414-343901/3
Fax: (256) 414-250270

Analytical Labaratory

National Dairy Laboratory

Dairy House,
UMA Show Grounds
Lugogo - Kampala
Tel: +256 414696145

Dairy School
Entebbe Dairy Training